Professor George Murrell is an orthopaedic surgeon and Director of the Orthopaedic Research Institute at St George Hospital and Professor at the UNSW. He graduated from Adelaide University and was the 1984 South Australian Rhodes Scholar. At Oxford he gained blues in athletics, completed a DPhil (PhD) and was awarded the Royal College of Surgeons Arris and Gale medal. He spent a year in Cambridge teaching and rowing before completing his orthopaedic training at Duke University, USA. During a two year fellowship in sports medicine, shoulder surgery and research at the Hospital for Special Surgery, New York he gained a National Institutes of Health First Award, and an American Orthopaedic Association North American Travelling Fellowship. He serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Shoulder and Elbow and Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. His team has won over 30 awards for their work and his fellowship program attracts surgeons from around the world.
Professor Murrell specialises in shoulder surgery and has a special interest in arthroscopic methods to repair and restore damaged ligaments and tendons. He is very happy to manage patients who live locally, from other parts of Sydney, the country, interstate and from overseas.
Shoulder Surgeon, 17 Kensington Street, Kogarah, Sydney.
Director, Orthopaedic Research Institute (www.ori.org.au)
Conjoint Professor, University of New South Wales
Senior Staff Specialist, The St George Hospital Campus, Sydney, NSW, Australia
- 1979 Le Messurer Bursary
- 1979 St Mark’s Collegians Prize
- 1980 Lendon Scholarship
- 1981 Bickersteth Scholarship
- 1983 W.A. Dibden Prize
- 1984 South Australian Rhodes Scholarship
- 1990 Royal College of Surgeons of England Arris and Gale Medal
- 1991 American College of Sports Medicine New Investigator Award
- 1992 American Orthopaedic Association – Zimmer Award for Orthopaedic Residents
- 1992 International Society for Free Radical Research Young Investigator Award
- 1993 Eastern Orthopaedic Association Resident/Fellow Award
- 1994 American Orthopaedic Association – Zimmer Award for Orthopaedic Fellows
- 1994 American Orthopaedic Association North American Travelling Fellow
- 1996 American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine 3M Basic Science Award
- 2001 Federation Internationale de Medicine du Sport (FIMS) AFSM Intercontinental Travelling Fellow
- 2003 COMMS Award, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Best Paper 2003 Annual Meeting
- 2005 FE Johnson Memorial Fellowship
- 2010 The Petronas Chair, University of Malaya
- 2010 The Hospital for Special Surgery International Alumni Ambassador
- 2012 “Excellent long-term outcomes of arthroscopic capsular release for frozen shoulder” finalist Charles S. Neer Award, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- 2014 Most Popular Presentation Shoulder & Elbow Society of Australia
- 2015 “Primary versus revision arthroscopic rotator cuff repair – an analysis in 350 consecutive patients” finalist Charles S. Neer Award, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- 2015 “The effect of concomitant glenohumeral joint capsule release during rotator cuff repair – a comparative study of 195 patients” finalist Charles S. Neer Award, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- 2015 “Does stiffness impair or enhance healing post rotator cuff repair? A study in 1500 consecutive arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs” finalist Caspari Award, 10th Biennial ISAKOS Congress
- 2015 Pier Giorgio Marchetti, MD, Award, Distinguished International Alumnus, The Hospital for Special Surgery.
- 2015 Honorary Member Korean Shoulder and Elbow Society
- 2016 Gentchos Lecturer in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, University of Pennsylvania
- Murrell GAC. (1988) Studies on Dupuytren’s Contracture. Doctor of Philosophy (D.Phil.) Thesis, Oxford University.
- Murrell GAC, Huang CH-C,Ellis H. (1990) Medical Research: A Guide to Writing a Thesis in the Medical Sciences. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge – English and Japanese translation.
- Murrell GAC, Huang CH-C, Ellis H. (1999) Research in Medicine. Planning a Project – Writing a Thesis. Second edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Murrell GAC. (2006) Nitric oxide and tendon healing. Doctor of Medicine (MD) Thesis by published works, University of New South Wales.
- Usher-Smith J, Murrell GAC, Ellis H,Huang C. (2010) Research in medicine. Planning a Project – Writing a thesis. Third edition. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
For more publications, please see the PubMed listing.